Virginia has been a university English instructor for over 20 years. She specializes in helping people write essays faster and easier.
Included in this Article
Struggling to find a great topic? Scan the lists below to find questions my students have generated to find something you want to write about. Topics are divided into:
2. Social Issues
7. Driving and Transportation
Remember you can adapt these general ideas to fit your own school, town, or situation.
Step By Step Writing Gu you have chosen your topic, you can find instructions about how to develop your ideas, find a unique solution to the problem and organize your essay in “How to Write Your Problem Solution Paper. “
- How can social media bullying be prevented?
- What is the best way to help someone who is depressed?
- What’s the best way to deal with manipulative and domineering people?
- How can you help a friend or roommate who is making poor life choices?
- How can you get out of a bad relationship?
- How can you move out of the “friend zone”?
- What is the best way for a woman to show a man she is interested? Should she ask him out?
- How has texting affected face-to-face relationships?
- What can be done to make sure that people today actually know how to have “real” relationships?
- How can we get away from stereotypes and racism? What steps can we take as individuals and as a society?
- How can we learn to understand people who are different from us culturally, racially, or socioeconomically?
- How can we break down barriers between groups?
4 Parts of Problem Solution
Describe a problem vividly.
Propose a solution.
Argue that the solution is practical, personal statement feasible, cost-effective, and workable.
Explain why it is better than other solutions.
How Do We Solve Poverty?
- How can we help homeless people in our community?
- How can we prevent people from dropping out of high school?
- What is the best way to prevent teen pregnancy?
- How can kids be persuaded not to experiment with illegal drugs?
- What is the best way to prevent deaths from drunk driving?
- How can teenagers be convinced to drive more safely?
- What can be done to prevent divorce?
- How can kids with divorced parents be helped to do well in school, have strong relationships, and build successful lives and marriages?
- What can be done to eliminate or prevent racism?
- What is the best way to help people who are victims of family violence?
- How can we change the welfare system to help people escape generational poverty?
- How can we deal with illegal immigration?
- What should we do about the increase in gun violence?
- How can we best rehabilitate prisoners so that they can be productive members of society?
- How can healthcare be ensured for everyone around the world?
- How can we improve literacy?
- What can be done to prevent human trafficking?
- How can we prevent children from being negatively influenced by violence and pornography in media such as video games, movies, and the Internet?
- How can we persuade people to make healthy lifestyle choices like not smoking, exercising, and maintaining a healthy BMI?
- How can we balance the right for free speech with the right to not be insulted or abused?
- Choose a city you know. How can that city be made more bicycle and pedestrian-friendly?
- How can we best reduce the problem of terrorism?
- Should there be controls in the way the media portrays celebrities?
- How can we handle the problem of online data mining or the fact that data brokers are selling our information to advertisers, employers, health insurers, and credit rating agencies?
- What should we do to help people get jobs?
Athletes and Sports
- How can steroid use be limited in all sports (or one in particular)?
- Should college athletes be paid?
- How can colleges better handle the combination of education, athletics, and business?
- Do kids train too hard in athletics at young ages?
- What is the best way for a young athlete to learn a sport? (You might want to talk about a particular sport you know well).
- How can coaches best encourage their athletes to do their best?
- Think about your local sports team. What can be done to make that team more effective? How can the fans be made to support the team more?
- Pick your favorite sport. How can someone best prepare themselves to be excellent at that sport?
- How can sports media be more effective at covering a sport you like to watch? Should the announcers be biased or not? Which games should be covered by sports networks? What types of interviews and special features make the sport more interesting to watch?
- What can be done to increase attendance at your favorite sporting event?
- How should a coach or player handle media interviews when they lose a big game?
- How can players prepare themselves for the (inevitable) loss?
- What should professional players